• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sblewis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

When my ex husband & I were divorced I did not seek legal help. In the divorce papers it states that any vehicle titled in both husband & wife names (it listed my car specifically) would be mine once it was paid in full. It did not specify who would pay this. Now my ex husband wants to take the car. But I have since found out that the car is titled only in his name. According to the divorce papers this car was in both names.

Also, did he break any laws in the divorce agreement when he knowingly lied about my name being on the title when it was not.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

When my ex husband & I were divorced I did not seek legal help. In the divorce papers it states that any vehicle titled in both husband & wife names (it listed my car specifically) would be mine once it was paid in full. It did not specify who would pay this. Now my ex husband wants to take the car. But I have since found out that the car is titled only in his name. According to the divorce papers this car was in both names.

Also, did he break any laws in the divorce agreement when he knowingly lied about my name being on the title when it was not.
So, your plan was to drive around in a car post divorce that your husband would be required to pay for? The judge will decide if he lied about anything.

An attorney would be the prudent avenue.

sblewis

So, your plan was to drive around in a car post divorce that your husband would be required to pay for? The judge will decide if he lied about anything.

An attorney would be the prudent avenue.
He had said that the car would be mine along with the house, well he took the house and now wants the car but according to agreement, I didn't "plan" on anything outside the agreement but was not known to me that my name was never on the car title.

single317dad

You should retain an attorney to petition the court to enforce the divorce order as written. It's possible to do that yourself, but it seems you're not having much luck with that, so hiring a professional would be a wise move.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He had said that the car would be mine along with the house, well he took the house and now wants the car but according to agreement, I didn't "plan" on anything outside the agreement but was not known to me that my name was never on the car title.
Who paid for this car? Was there another vehicle?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My general response to the question "Do I need a lawyer?" is - if you have to ask, you probably do.

In your situation, I would unequivocally say yes, you need a lawyer. While your vehicle was specifically mentioned, it doesn't meet the criteria set out on your order. A lawyer *may* be able to do something about the situation, but given your dropping the ball on such an important "detail".... I doubt you'll be able to do so yourself.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">