• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need an attorney for divorce when we have nothing!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcmfs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Just wondering if I need an attorney to get a divorce when our kids are over 21 and we rent so don't own a house, I own the 2 cars both paid for, we do have some debt, he has hospital bills and so do I.

Thank you

LdiJ

Just wondering if I need an attorney to get a divorce when our kids are over 21 and we rent so don't own a house, I own the 2 cars both paid for, we do have some debt, he has hospital bills and so do I.

Thank you
You would each be expected to come out of the divorce with a car, so if you are willing to concede that point, you might very well be able to do it without an attorney.

Just Blue

Thank you
All marital assets and debts get split 50/50. If you can agree on terms you, neither of you, will need an attorney.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Frankly, it depends...

Yes, in *theory* it is possible to have an inexpensive divorce in your situation, maybe without a lawyer.

BUT that only works with people that can be reasonable (and if you can work together you wouldn't be divorcing) OR when one party is just willing to cave and bend over backwards to get out of a relationship.

Costs go up NOT because there's a lot of marital assets/debts to quibble about, but because at least one party is willing to fight. It might be worth it, or it may be just an act of vindictiveness, or, most tragic of all, it might be that the party is just oblivious of how the cost-benefit analysis works out. (How much you're going to get vs how much you're going to pay in legal fees.)

Judging from your other thread, you may be dealing with some vindictiveness from the other party... How much are you willing to walk away from?

mcmfs

Thank you all for your replies.

I will have to leave my husband when he is not home, he can be violent and I know when he knows I'm definitely leaving he will do just about anything as he can't control himself and was arrested for domestic violence 2 months ago.

I don't care about anything, I bought both cars and they are paid for now and he can have his, don't care, we own nothing else, no retirement anymore (he went in to it) I earn more than him so he's always threatening if I leave he will take me for everything (he can be nice one minute, crazy shouting the next and I've gone 1/2 nuts myself)

Just want to walk away.

Will probably talk to an attorney to see if I can divorce him by myself.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
DO contact your local domestic violence shelter or http://ccadv.org/ to see what help, if any, is available to you.

DO put together an escape plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">