• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I NEED a lawyer to sign a post nuptial agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hyghbred

What is the name of your state (California)

My wife's parents had a post nuptial agreement drafted for us for some odd reason. They are a little weird. I am being told I need to spend money to get a lawyer to review and watch me sign this thing. Can I not just sign it in front of a notary in and not have to spend the money on a lawyer?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (California)

My wife's parents had a post nuptial agreement drafted for us for some odd reason. They are a little weird. I am being told I need to spend money to get a lawyer to review and watch me sign this thing. Can I not just sign it in front of a notary in and not have to spend the money on a lawyer?
You DO need an attorney. Tell your wife's parents they can pay for the attorney, if they want you to sign such a stupid document.

While I'm here, I wonder why your wife's parents have the nerve, or the room, to DO this. Overinvolved, overcontrolling: I wouldn't put up with that nonsense for one minute.

FlyingRon

If you don't understand it or you think it might not be in your best interest, you very much need your OWN lawyer to review it.

To sign it you don't need anything but a pen. If they want it notarized, tell them to bring a notary over.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you don't understand it or you think it might not be in your best interest, you very much need your OWN lawyer to review it.

To sign it you don't need anything but a pen. If they want it notarized, tell them to bring a notary over.
In this state, OP would need his own attorney to review & advise for it to even have a chance of being legally binding. Of course, not having an attorney may be of benefit to the OP in the long run...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Would a post nup even be enforceable if not part of a divorce or separation proceeding? In Ohio, it would not be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">