• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to provide a proof of service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

black2463

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I am representing myself in a divorce action in Southern California. My question is during the course of discovery I have come across amplifying information to support my case. Do i need to file a proof of service form with the court when serving this information on the opposing party? I have already sent some documents to opposing counsel but could resend via personal service if required? Please advise, anyone who might now. In addition do I need to send this documentation to the court clerk for filing into case file?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mmmagique

I think that proof of service is only required on originating documents, but it wouldn't hurt to get a signature required return receipt requested.

CourtClerk

Oh for Christ's sake, someone hasn't read the civil code of procedure....

Anytime you file something with the court, the other side must be served a copy and a proof of service included.

LdiJ

Oh for Christ's sake, someone hasn't read the civil code of procedure....

Anytime you file something with the court, the other side must be served a copy and a proof of service included.
Isn't it adequate however, to serve their attorney of record?

CourtClerk

Isn't it adequate however, to serve their attorney of record?
Yes and further, if there IS an AOR, then the attorney needs to be served. Also, depending on what is being served, it may be sufficient to serve by mail, as opposed to personal service using a process server.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">