• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need spouses social security number for uncontested divorce? ssn NY New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thx 4 the Help

New York.

Will the court reject my uncontested divorce if I don't have spouses ssn number on paperwork?

It will be a self filled, uncontested divorce.

I just don't want to have to contact him for anything.

Thanks in advance for help.

:)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Um... How do you know it's uncontested? :confused:

Uncontested, by definition, means that you are in agreement as to the terms of the divorce. One party has served the other with divorce papers AND the other has responded that they are not contesting the terms of the proposed divorce. In order to do that, at some point, your spouse has to be contacted.

(Assuming you are not serving by publication - that only makes sense if you don't know where your spouse is.)

No matter how "obvious" it is that your proposed terms are reasonable, the other party can choose to disagree. Heck, he might just contest it to annoy you.

And yes, you do need the social security number. There are (usually) ways of getting the SSN without contacting him directly. For example, if you have filed taxes as a married couple, you should be able to copy it from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">