• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I still have to pay mortgage if I move out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fender72

Me and my wife are not getting along these days. I don't want the kids to see us fighting anymore so I am thinking of moving out. Now I am willing to pay child support but do I also need to continue to pay the mortgage after I move out?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

Me and my wife are not getting along these days. I don't want the kids to see us fighting anymore so I am thinking of moving out. Now I am willing to pay child support but do I also need to continue to pay the mortgage after I move out?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
U.S. Law Only.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'll venture to say that you are required to meet the obligations of the contract you entered in to until released from said obligations by the contract, or by competent court order directed at the contract holder...

Of course, that's for the US ;)

nextwife

As someone who works in the mortgage industry, I can say that ALL borrowers will continue to be legally responsible for the mortgage - regardless of occupancy or relationship status - until such point as the mortgage is either paid off or financed into another parties name.

Any court order between the parties does NOT impact the enforceability of the lender and their right to pursue any collection efforts against a default borrower. It only gives the parties the right the enforce pay agreements between each other.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">