• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do it my self or hire an Attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blooski

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I wanted to get a divorce last year so I went and hired an attorney, filled the paper work and paid them $1000 (out of I think about $3750). This was in the August of 2007, afterwards stuff happened and I did not proceed with process. Well, now I want to file for a divorce, and it brings up a number of questions:
  • Can I go back to the attorney and ask them to continue with my case for rest of the fee? If not, what would be a reasonable discount/reimbursement I can ask them?
  • We have no kids and not many assets, should I do it by myself? My spouse does not want to get divorced and she is very vindictive and spiteful, so should I hire an attorney considering the fact that she does not want to cooperate with me in the process?
  • My spouse will be out of the country and for the next 2 months, Can I file for a divorce while she is out of the country?
Thanks for any adviceWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

I wanted to get a divorce last year so I went and hired an attorney, filled the paper work and paid them $1000 (out of I think about $3750). This was in the August of 2007, afterwards stuff happened and I did not proceed with process. Well, now I want to file for a divorce, and it brings up a number of questions:
  • Can I go back to the attorney and ask them to continue with my case for rest of the fee? If not, what would be a reasonable discount/reimbursement I can ask them?
  • We have no kids and not many assets, should I do it by myself? My spouse does not want to get divorced and she is very vindictive and spiteful, so should I hire an attorney considering the fact that she does not want to cooperate with me in the process?
  • My spouse will be out of the country and for the next 2 months, Can I file for a divorce while she is out of the country?
It sounds to me like you are going to need an attorney. You could certainly approach the original attorney that you paid the 1000.00 to and see if he/she will proceed if the balance is paid.

Gracie3787

You definately should hire an attorney.

Because you began a case and then didn't follow through, you should not proceed pro-se.

No, you cannot file anything UNLESS you are able to have wife legally served while out of the country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">