• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do you get a divorce if you're common law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheeks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tx. I have lived with my boyfriend for 5 years. I believe it's considered common law marriage. Do I have to get a divorce?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tx. I have lived with my boyfriend for 5 years. I believe it's considered common law marriage. Do I have to get a divorce?
Really? Why do you believe that? Did you file taxes together as married? You don't hold yourself out as being married here. Because it would be YOUR HUSBAND instead of your boyfriend. Were you covered on each other's health insurance as spouses? Did you tell the world you were married?

My guess is no. hence you were not common law married and hence you do not need a divorce. But answer my questions.

cheeks

Yes we filed taxes as married and I had him on my insurance. I would say he was my partner or that we lived together.

mistoffolees

Yes we filed taxes as married and I had him on my insurance. I would say he was my partner or that we lived together.
If you filed taxes as married and had him on your insurance, there's enough to suggest that common law might apply (no certainty though). You should probably play it safe and go for the divorce, particularly if there are no complicated issues in the settlement.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well then you either committed tax fraud OR you are in denial. i think you are in denial becuase quite frankly you referred to him as your boyfriend. He isn't. He is your husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">