• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do-it-yourself divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needsumhelp

i live in indiana, and wanted to know if i can file my own paperwork? we have one child together and no real marital property, except furnishings. we also have a lease on an apartment for another year and a half, with both our names on it. i am currently a fulltime homemaker, and could not afford the current rental amount. is there a way for me to get off the lease, and look for a place more suited to my expences? i am also in the process of finding employment, for that purpose.

LegalBeagle

needsumhelp said:
i live in indiana, and wanted to know if i can file my own paperwork? we have one child together and no real marital property, except furnishings. we also have a lease on an apartment for another year and a half, with both our names on it. i am currently a fulltime homemaker, and could not afford the current rental amount. is there a way for me to get off the lease, and look for a place more suited to my expences? i am also in the process of finding employment, for that purpose.
Yes you can file your own paper work. Getting out of the lease depends on the lease and what the legal wording is.

K

Kelly143

You can go to your local bookstore and find a book on divorce. I have one for MI and it not only has all the paperwork I need, but it tells you how to go about doing it. The book only costs about $25, and also includes a waiver form you can use to try to get the filing costs waived.

LB, as far as the lease goes, can she have as part of the divorce that the ex has to pay the rent until the end of the lease so she can stay living there with the child? Just a thought.

N

nancy watkins

go to the local library find book called "how to file your own divorce" it has all forms needed

G

Grandma B

Kelly143 said:
LB, as far as the lease goes, can she have as part of the divorce that the ex has to pay the rent until the end of the lease so she can stay living there with the child? Just a thought.
She could ask for this or anything else she wants, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Judge would award it to her. She will be awarded child support, and is also likely to receive temporary alimony since she's been a full-time homemaker

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">