• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DOD civilian overseas divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patty10

My sister is a DOD civilian working overseas and wants to file for divorce. She is a resident of the state of Florida. Florida law requires a six month residency to file for divorce but she was told that because she is a government civilian working overseas that can be waived and other steps need to take place. Can you tell me what those steps are and what she needs to do to file for the divorce?

Thank you in advance.

Patty

My sister is a DOD civilian working overseas and wants to file for divorce. She is a resident of the state of Florida. Florida law requires a six month residency to file for divorce but she was told that because she is a government civilian working overseas that can be waived and other steps need to take place. Can you tell me what those steps are and what she needs to do to file for the divorce?

Thank you in advance.

Patty

Well...if she is treated similar to an active duty service member....her spouse must have been a resident of FLA. for the last six months, she must have been a resident of FLA. for six months before deploying on active duty, or FLA. must be the active duty members state of legal residence (pays taxes). Either way....six months isn't very long...and you can get the papers together and start the process...and it will be six months before you know it. Most of the protection is aimed at allowing deployed personnel to delay litigation until they return home...if they choose.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">