• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does ex wife have rights if her name was never on the house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrs.bernadac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL.
My ex wife after 2 years of divorce is sueing me for equity on our house, which only my name is on. The house is almost in forecloser and she expects me to pay 7 months of missed payments to keep the house. She says i broke our contract by allowing this to happen to the house. What is she obligated to if her name was never on this house?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL.
My ex wife after 2 years of divorce is sueing me for equity on our house, which only my name is on. The house is almost in forecloser and she expects me to pay 7 months of missed payments to keep the house. She says i broke our contract by allowing this to happen to the house. What is she obligated to if her name was never on this house?
She is entitled to 1/2 of the marital equity (basically, the equity in the house at the time of divorce minus the equity at the time of marriage). There's no contract involved (other than the one with the mortgage company, of course).

However, I'm confused. If only your name is on the house, why is it her responsibility to pay the mortgage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">