• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he have to pay her debts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adglass71

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My brother's wife of 4 1/2 years left him. About a year to a year and a half ago they declared bankrupcy. Since then, my sister-in-law has accumulated more debt in her name. Most of which was accumulated without my brother's knowledge, that is until the collector's started to call.

My questions is this, will he have to pay her debt?

She has not worked for most of their marriage and she has had some health problems, but her doctors have told her that she CAN work. She has not supported the marriage with the little bit of income she has brought in. She currently is unemployed. Before she left, she and my brother were in such financial strains that they had to move in with my parents.

Now she is gone and she has left him with all of her debt. What can he do? Can he declare bankrupcy again? Can he make her pay the bills? If she refuses, does he have to pay them? Can he take her car, which he paid for, and sell it to pay her debt?

Please advise.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">