• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does WV recognize common law marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angel_41787

What is the name of your state? west virginia
i have been living with my ex-husband now for over 12 years. my question is...are we married by common law now and what rights do i have? am i entitled to palimony?

kat1963

No common law marriage in your state. It is also unlawful to cohabitate & fornicate in West Virginia, so I don't know if they award palimony being that what you were doing is a crime under your state laws. Please seek the advice of a family law attorney.
KAT

Michael McCoy

Concern for a friend

I have a friend that may soon be facing a break-up with her boyfriend after 9 years of co-habitation. Their relationship began when she was about 18 and solidified when she was about 25.
She has given birth to two of his children -- ages about 14 and 9.
She is now 34 and he is 39.
Their relationship has been a marriage in all but the formal ceremony.
In the last several months, he has established a relationship with another woman and a split may be pending -- in fact -- it seems inevitable.
The relationship has been largely amicable but may become contentious -- as his assets are substantial.
As per his insistence, any conversation about marriage during those 9 years centered around a pre-nupual agreement that he would require of her -- which she hasn't signed and is reluctant to agree to.
She has no real work experience and her assets are nearly non-existent.
With her and her children's future uncertain, what options should she explore?
Thanks so much for your time.
Mike

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have a friend that may soon be facing a break-up with her boyfriend after 9 years of co-habitation. Their relationship began when she was about 18 and solidified when she was about 25.
She has given birth to two of his children -- ages about 14 and 9.
She is now 34 and he is 39.
Their relationship has been a marriage in all but the formal ceremony.
In the last several months, he has established a relationship with another woman and a split may be pending -- in fact -- it seems inevitable.
The relationship has been largely amicable but may become contentious -- as his assets are substantial.
As per his insistence, any conversation about marriage during those 9 years centered around a pre-nupual agreement that he would require of her -- which she hasn't signed and is reluctant to agree to.
She has no real work experience and her assets are nearly non-existent.
With her and her children's future uncertain, what options should she explore?
Thanks so much for your time.
Mike
Please start your own thread and answer rthe question on that thread regarding what is your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">