• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It doesn't get much worse....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ljbean

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was married in August of 2001. I am 41 y/o and this is my third marriage. It is my husband's second. My husband filed for divorce in April of 2004, after he took almost $40,000 from joint monies. I am a full time student in nursing school, on tuition waiver and extended benefits during training. (I only receive a check during school) I cannot work or I lose my tuition waiver and benefits. I filed for support and was denied, the reason stated because I was still living in the marital home. Meanwhile, my husband went to the police and filed a false report that I had slapped him and had me removed from the house. When we showed up for the trial the judge dismissed the charges saying domestic violence never took place, even if I did slap him (which I didn't.) When I went back home to get some things my husband tried to throw my girlfriend out of the chair she was sitting in and told us both to get out of the house. I called the police, and we went back to the judge, without representation. The judge, sua sponte had a "Roberts" hearing and immediately threw me out of the house. I was not allowed to speak for myself, and all questions regarding my family, who I knew or where I could stay were directed to my husband. When I cried out that the courts were making an indigent of me, the court gave me a list of shelters to go to. The judge did say to file for support.
I filed an interloucatory appeal. It was denied. I filed for support for the second time, as circumstances had changed. It was denied. I asked for a car my husband purchased after he took the money. That was denied. If it were not for the generousity of friends and family, I would be homeless and penniless. There is a marital home involved, which he did own prior to marriage, but I paid him $60,000.00 and he put me on the title. He is now contesting that, saying that I harrassed him to put me on the title.

Here is my question. Is there anything I can do if I feel I have been treated unfairly by the court? I understand my husband's complete disregard for my life, safety (I slept in my car for 2 days before I could find a place) and interests, but I didn't expect the courts to help him. In fact, my husband is so confident in the judge's favor that he stated that he went back to court to "ask for the judge's advice..."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">