• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestication Of a Divorce & Contempt of Court Judgment in another State - HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angelgirl139

Domestication Of a Divorce & Contempt of Court Judgment in another State - HELP!!

What is the name of your state (IL)?

I was divorced in IL in 2006. I got a default judgment because my ex-husband wouldn’t come to court. In 2008, my attorney and I filed contempt of court charges against my ex- because he wouldn’t honor the terms of the divorce settlement terms. He was ordered to pay me around $43,000 because he stole money from me, changed stuff on my credit cards, open credit cards up in my name without my knowledge or consent, and wouldn’t move out from my condo even though I was given total ownership in the divorce settlement and so on. Judge found my ex in contempt of court for the $43,000. My ex came to court for all the proceedings without an attorney. A wage garnishment was ordered against my ex, but didn’t go through because my he was in the process of changing job, but he started paying me each month from 2008-2010.

In 2011 my ex moved to the south (GA). It took me a year and half to find him. Its now 2012, I estimate my ex still owes me around $32,000. I hired an attorney to the judgments I have in IL in the state where my ex now lives (GA), and my ex was served with papers to domesticate the judgment I have against him , and with contempt of court I have against him too. My ex has hired an attorney this time around.

I am just wondering what are my chances of getting the judgments I have honored and enforced in the state where he lives GA and collecting what he owes me?
Does my ex have a good chance to vacate the judgments I have against him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">