• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dominican Divorce in Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caraficionado

My mother is being served divorce papers by my father. She lives in Pennsylvania -- he lives in the Dominican Republic. They are both US citizens. The have been informally seperated for almost 20 years. He abandoned the household in 1993. He sent the papers to the Dominican Consulate in New York City instead of her home state of PA. She is required to travel to the consulate in NY to pick up and pay for the papers. They were originally married in NYC over 50 years ago.

1) Why would they have her pick up the paperwork in NYC?
2) Why does she have to pay $10 to pick up papers?
3) Does PA recognize a DR divorce?
4) This divorce isn't exactly mutual consent since my mother was blindsided by it and is afraid that my father wants half of the house that he abandoned. So how does property settlement come into play?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

My mother is being served divorce papers by my father. She lives in Pennsylvania -- he lives in the Dominican Republic. They are both US citizens. The have been informally seperated for almost 20 years. He abandoned the household in 1993. He sent the papers to the Dominican Consulate in New York City instead of her home state of PA. She is required to travel to the consulate in NY to pick up and pay for the papers. They were originally married in NYC over 50 years ago.

1) Why would they have her pick up the paperwork in NYC?
2) Why does she have to pay $10 to pick up papers?
3) Does PA recognize a DR divorce?
4) This divorce isn't exactly mutual consent since my mother was blindsided by it and is afraid that my father wants half of the house that he abandoned. So how does property settlement come into play?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
She needs to see an attorney.

"We have papers for you if you drive to New York and pay $10" probably isn't proper service (although who knows how DR rules work?).

PA will recognize a divorce from almost any country, although it's not clear that DR could do it - you'd have to ask someone familiar with DR rules.

DR would NOT have jurisdiction over property in the U.S. However, depending on how the house is titled, she may have to give stbx 1/2 of the equity if she gets a U.S. divorce, anyway.

She should see an attorney in PA before going to NY to pick up any papers. It could well be that the attorney will tell her not to do it and to file for divorce in PA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">