• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dominican Republic Divorces

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ironparrot

What is the name of your state? Florida

The Dominican Republic offers divorces that are supposed to be recognised in most of the states in the US. Is a non contested, all issues agreed to mutually (property, teen age children, support, etc.) divorce from the Dominican Republic accepted in the State of Florida? If not, why?

According to the Dominican Republic gov website their divorces are recognized by the US gov, IRS, SS and INS and most states (they list the states where it's not accepted and Florida is NOT one of them) if their rules are followed. Also there is a list of public figures who have recently gotten divorces in the Dominican Republic.

TIA

Last edited:

C

cyana

FL does allow non-contested divorces as long as you meet the six month residency requirement. Once the action is started I have no idea how long it takes from start to finish to actually be divorced. Florida Family Court has a very extensive list of forms to download: path is www.flcourts.org --> Self Help --> Forms

Also look on www.divorcenet.com --> Florida or www.divorcesource.com --> Florida. There's also "how to" books with forms available from Amazon.com.

Naturally the assumption is that all issues are resolved and you have a tentative settlement agreement in place.

stephenk

are you saying you were married in the Dominican Republic and then got a divorce in that country and now Florida will not recognize the divorce?

OR

are you saying you were married here in the U.S. went to the Dominican to get divorced and now Florida will not recognize the divorce?

I

ironparrot

Dominican Divorce

Married in the US. Reside in Florida. The Dominican Republic website says that they offer a 2 day turn around divorce...read the first post for details of the situation...ALL the facts are in the first post.

C

cyana

"Parrot"...I think stephenk raised a valid alternate interpretation of your post. He did not deserve to be "sniped" at. And who the heck cares if DR divorces are recognized in most states but not the state of FL. YOU are in FL. And the fact that celebrities have obtained divorces from the DR is totally irrelevant. If you hadn't spent so much time researching "quicky" divorces and instead focused your efforts on how to obtain an uncontented divorce in your own state... well, I would not have had to waste my time looking up FL divorce law on your behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">