• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't know where to begin.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GripperGuy

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi all, my marriage of nearly 8 years is coming to an end, and I need some advice on the entire process.
I believe that we must get separated first according to NY state, but am not entirely sure.

We have no children, so that should simplify the process somewhat.

How long does it generally take to draw up the papers?

How long does it take for the separation to become legal after the papers are filed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi all, my marriage of nearly 8 years is coming to an end, and I need some advice on the entire process.
I believe that we must get separated first according to NY state, but am not entirely sure.

We have no children, so that should simplify the process somewhat.

How long does it generally take to draw up the papers?

As long as you both agree, not long.

How long does it take for the separation to become legal after the papers are filed?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Once the separation ageeement papers have been signed by both of you,AND filed in your county of residence.

You want a time table? Ask your local court.

Last edited:

GripperGuy

ok, I assumed that that separation agreement didnt take that long. I wasnt looking for an exact time-table.

I guess I should get in touch with my lawyer to start the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">