• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dos and Donts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Freedonia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I am locked out of my house, locks have been changed. I want to proceed with an amicable seperation. I also want to get my own apartment. Legally, do I have the right to use savings to lease an apartment during the seperation? I am presently residing at my wife's brothers house.
Thank You,
Freedonia

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I am locked out of my house, locks have been changed. I want to proceed with an amicable seperation. I also want to get my own apartment. Legally, do I have the right to use savings to lease an apartment during the seperation? I am presently residing at my wife's brothers house.
Thank You,
Freedonia
Well it appears that your separation has begun alot less than amicable.

You have a right to reside in your marital residence until a court orders you out. Why waste the money on an apartment when you already have a place to stay?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Without a restraining order, Bali is correct, you have a right to reside in the marital home. Break in. Your wife has to get a court order to remove you. HOWEVER, with that being said, watch because if you do move back in, she may very well try to set you up with a CPO.

tuffbrk

What are his chances of obtaining a TRO based on her changing the locks? Once he gets back in the house, does IL allow one party recordings? Can he tape her once she arrives home? He can calmly tell her that if she is uncomfortable sharing the space with him that she is free to leave but it is against the law for her to change locks prohibiting him from entering their home?

Last edited:

Bali Hai

What are his chances of obtaining a TPO based on her changing the locks? Once he gets back in the house, does IL allow one party recordings? Can he tape her once she arrives home? He can calmly tell her that if she is uncomfortable sharing the space with him that she is free to leave but it is against the law for her to change locks prohibiting him from entering their home?
I take back anything I may have said to offend you tuffbrk!!:):)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">