• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

double divorce needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmoi

What is the name of your state? California

Hello! Does anyone have an answer for me?

The situation :

I am the wife and a US citizen.
I married a Frenchman both in California (for my family here) and in France. We were married for 9 years.

We lived exclusively in France and my husband never spent more than a vacation here - he also never requested citizenship, residency, green card, etc...

We were divorced in France and I returned to live in California where I've been for the last year to re-establish CA residency for myself.

I know how to file for divorce here but want to avoid the hassle if my French divorce papers will suffice.

The Question (s) :
- Do I need to go through the divorce process here as well?
- Can I have the French divorce papers certified by the court?
- What legislative body would be able to give me a clear cut answer? (I have contacted lawyers who respond " to the best of their knowledge" - I'd like something more convincing).

Thank you in advance for your help and your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">