• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dower Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockwater1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My wife is filing for divorce and she wants it all. Our house, which was purchased after we were married, is in my wife's name. She say's that I had signed over my dower rights due to my credit at the time. If I did sign over these rights, of which she will not show me proof of, does this mean that I signs over any financial interest as marital property.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

OHRoadwarrior

Dower rights, refer to your right to live in the property after her death. You aren't going to kill her before divorce court are you?

google "ohio title dower" for an indepth explanation.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My wife is filing for divorce and she wants it all. Our house, which was purchased after we were married, is in my wife's name. She say's that I had signed over my dower rights due to my credit at the time. If I did sign over these rights, of which she will not show me proof of, does this mean that I signs over any financial interest as marital property.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Don't take legal or financial advice from your stbx.

You will generally be entitled to 1/2 of the marital equity in the property as well as 1/2 of any other marital debts and assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">