• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dptyvckerk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dptyclerk

able to get 1/2 house?

What is the name of your state? New York
My Husband of 35 years bought a 2 family house right before we got married the attorney said it was better in one name because we were not married but after we culd alway change it well we never did but for 35 years we have filed income tax together and have claim the house. We also own 2 other houses in both our names. Would I be able to get 1/2 the house that is not in my name if we divorced?

Last edited:

LdiJ

dptyclerk said:
What is the name of your state? New York
My Husband of 35 years bought a 2 family house right before we got married the attorney said it was better in one name because we were not married but after we culd alway change it well we never did but for 35 years we have filed income tax together and have claim the house. We also own 2 other houses in both our names. Would I be able to get 1/2 the house that is not in my name if we divorced?
You would have to consult a local attorney to be certain, however, since all of the equity basically accrued during the marriage its likely that you would be entitled to half of that as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">