• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dragging out divorce & bifurcation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needadivorcenow

in the state of texas, travis county, is bifurcation legal? how does it work, what are the time frames and how much does it cost? must a lawyer do it, or can i?

if a someday-to-be-ex-spouse wants to drag his/her feet forever, what can be done to move things along other than lengthy and costly court proceedings?

the someday-to-be-ex says discussing details of the divorce are just too emotionaly upsetting, but the truth is she has her husband to pay her bills and child support and run her every errand because of the kids and make life miserable because she wants to punish. what can be done?

L

lawrat

You might want to resate this more clearly.

N

needadivorcenow

Ok, I'll restate the question as requested. I was being intentionally vague because I'm someone's mistress.

My boyfriend and his estranged wife are getting divorced. The have signed a contract that delineates the financial terms of the divorce. He agreed to co-sign a loan so she could buy a 300k new house. She needed virtually all the money from the closing of the house they shared to do this, which he agreed to, and she needed him to co-sign the loan, which he also agreed to.

Now, she has her new house, he has no money, he's paying child support and maintenence for her, he lives with his sister, so he spends almost every night at her house taking care of the children, and tucking them into bed, and then drives 20 miles to sleep on his sister's sofa. He wants to finalize the divorce. (Everyone in town knows I do too). She hates me and want to punish us. She doesn't want to talk about the divorce. She says it's too painful and he'll just have to wait until she's ready. She's told me that she'll never divorce him just to get even with me.

His lawyer has not done much on any level to help. My guy has no money to do a big court case. His estranged wife's parents are millionaires...really.

Is there anything he can do to help move this process along other than taking her to court and getting thousands of dollars into debt? Is there any way to force her to talk. Is there any way to keep her from refusing to cooperate. Is there any legal framework that he could use to make the divorce final?

I have read about bifurcation, a process by which a divorce is finalized before all the terms of the divorce is finalized. I cannot find any information as to what states this procedure is legal. Does anyone know if bifurcation is legal in Travis Co., Texas? If so, how does one go about with this proceedure?

Thank you for any and all help, I am extremely distressed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">