• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drop charges or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

golfer4

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Let me start off, I am a male. My wife called the cops one night and ended up taking her in becasue I had marks... She was drunk.. Well our situration was getting better and the cops told me I could just show up at the court and when asked just drop the charges...Well last night I caught her with someone else in a bar. This has been going on for 6 months... She keeps telling me everything she can to keep me, but than (when she is drunk) tells me she is going to take everything from me... Well the question is should I drop the charges or not, and if I do could I sill use the fact that she got arrested for domestic abuse against her if we do get divorced? If I don't drop the charges I konw it will be easier to get the divorce, with out her taking everything. MD is 50/50 state... Very confuesed man!

her beating you up and you catching her with another man is two different things. However if you feel she is a threat to you and will hurt you again in the future then it is important to press charges. However, if you are doing it to get back at her, then that is wrong, and there is no need to press the charges, get on with the divorce.

golfer4

Not really to get back at her, but at least have some leverage. She has threaten to destroy me and take me for everything. She didn't hurt me, just finger nail scratches. She call the police and when they got their, he said they had to take her in becasue I had scratches on me.. I am a little afraid she might scratch herself and then say I did it.. I know this is not a game, but something you don't know what the other person might do.. People are taking Domestic Abuse for real and they should..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">