• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

e-mails

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dan9902

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

Are e-mails admissable in court as proof of adultery or can they be used as leverage in the division of assets?

What about lie detector tests? Are the results admissable as evidence of anything? (Lying, cheating, etc.)

Thanks!

Once upon a time, it was nearly impossible to get divorced. One had to prove extreme abuse, abandonment, infidelity, etc. In our enlightened age, it has become the practice that if two consenting adults, in charge of their own lives and destinies no longer want to be married, the government has no right to stand in their way. Hence, the no fault divorce.

Since it no longer has to be 'proven' that there are grounds for a divorce, why would you bother? Because you are angry and hurt? You want to punish your spouse?

Just for the sake of argument, let's say emails, lie detectors, etc., are all admissable. You can prove in a court of law that your spouse did these terrible, awful things. And you can spend a lot of time, energy and money in the process. At the end of 3 years (not saying it would take that long), you will be divorced. Or, file under irreconcilable differences, divide the debts and assets equitably, and 3 years from now you will be divorced just the same. One difference. You will be thousands of dollars richer (or less in debt) and you will have spent your time and energy focusing on your future instead of the anger and hurt that will deprive only you.

Final note: proof of infidelity does not get you a larger share of assets or a smaller share of the debt. All it will do is make you look like you are being vengeful. Which you are. The point is to get divorced, so do it as quickly and cheaply as possible. Live life well, move on and maintain your dignity. That will be both the only and the best revenge you will get.

L

liltxgal70

I am in the same situation......so far I have consulted with two differnt attorneys in regards to fault divorce on grounds of adultrey. The advise "I" keep receiving here in the Houston area...........some times enough circumstancial evidence, or a witness, love letters..ect...! And YES it will make a big or "ALL" the differnce in marrital property div.
I personaly feel that seeking fault divorce is not such a bad thing. In my case it is not about attack on my spouse.......it's principle!! Never once was I informed that it would be an extreme cost over the norm. You either have enough proof or you dont. Either way you will be granted your divorce sense TX is a no-fault state with the alternative of fault for adultrey, abuse..ect.
Sorry.....dont know much about the lie detector test.

nailtech

liltxgal70 said:
Never once was I informed that it would be an extreme cost over the norm.
the extreme cost is the Lawyers, and their not going to tell you how costly it will be... if you have an extra (approx.) 10,000.00+/- for a fight then so be it...(thats per lawyer)... most divorces cost about 1000.00, so I would say 9 over is extreme to me... and for a chance of making a better settlement sometimes is not worth it... JMO...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">