• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

email impersonation involving work phone/email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

looking4info91

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have a close friend currently in the process of a divorce. Recently their spouse had used his work phone to send a workwide email posing/signing the email as him. From my understanding some of the statements in the email are false.... i.e. In the email it mentions another co-worker by name and states that they had contracted an STD from each other. In short the email was very distasteful and possible damaging to his and his co-workers career. The soon to be ex made a similar statement on a social networking site stating she may have been exposed to previously stated STD.
I guess my question is if there any recourse he or his co-worker can take against this? Does there need to be actual proof or admittance by her that she sent it, or can it be proved by combination of other emails and statements? As well as for the false possibly damaging comments about the STD ? My biggest concern for him is with regards to he and his co-workers employment. As well as my friends mental well being. Any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have a close friend currently in the process of a divorce. Recently their spouse had used his work phone to send a workwide email posing/signing the email as him. From my understanding some of the statements in the email are false.... i.e. In the email it mentions another co-worker by name and states that they had contracted an STD from each other. In short the email was very distasteful and possible damaging to his and his co-workers career. The soon to be ex made a similar statement on a social networking site stating she may have been exposed to previously stated STD.
I guess my question is if there any recourse he or his co-worker can take against this? Does there need to be actual proof or admittance by her that she sent it, or can it be proved by combination of other emails and statements? As well as for the false possibly damaging comments about the STD ? My biggest concern for him is with regards to he and his co-workers employment. As well as my friends mental well being. Any advice would be appreciated.

thank you
First step is call the police. Most city police departments have an electronic crime division. Then file a complaint.

Now, they will have to prove that she sent them in order to convict. That proof can come from a variety of source, including tracking IP address to her computer.

looking4info91

Thank you for the reply. I will pass on the information. Unfortunately the email was sent from an iphone that belongs to his work. Other than a followup email from one of her accounts that hinted or implied what she had done... (emailed him saying "oh did i hurt your girlfriends feeling..... ect.." without directly mentioning she sent an email). I'm not sure if any of that would be grounds to further it or not. The only other thing i can think of would be the fact that she had possession of the phone. Long story short, I had stopped by his house because his work phone was disconnected due to the problem email, and his regular cell-phone was coming up with number has changed message. When I stopped by, my friend had not been home and his spouse said he hadnt been home ect... and asked if i wanted his work phone. Which she then handed to me.
In any case, thank you again for the info and helping point into the right direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">