• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are emails admissible??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sweetangel75633

What is the name of your state? louisiana
are emails admissible as evidence in a divorce in the state of louisiana?

VeronicaGia

To the best of my knowledge, yes they are. Anything in writing is admissible. But realize a judge likely isn't going to read several oor hundreds of e-mails, and they must pertain to the case.

S

sweetangel75633

are emails admissible?

Thanks Veronica, let me explain a little more though. My future ex husband is claiming to have emails from me and a friend of mine through yahoo mail, and saying very bad things about them, but none of the emails were saved or put on the hard drive. I spoke to three different technicians that told me that there was no way he could have gotten them because they were deleted as soon as i read them. Also, my attorney told me that they were not admissible in the state of louisiana but i just wanted to be sure.

A

Alanp

Re: are emails admissible?

Once you delete an email from your yahoo account they go into the Trash folder where they sit for a few days unless you empty the Trash folder until that time he could retrieve them from the Trash folder. Once they're deleted by you or automatically purged by yahoo then yes no way he could have copy. Send yourself an email on yahoo, delete it then click on TRASH under folders and you will see it there. It will stay there for a couple days unless you clicked on EMPTY before logging out. Not to freak you out but he could have a copy of that email.

S

sweetangel75633

are emails admissible?

thanks alanp, there was a 9 to 12 month period of no emails being sent, and i always deleted my trash from the trash folder also. so i'm thinking that he had someone make up some fake emails to try to scare me in court. my attorney told me that it was illegal in louisiana to use emails. because anyone could have made them up.

T

theother

You can fake e-mails? Is there a way of proving that an e-mail was altered or falsified?

A

Alanp

You can fake the headers that is what spammers do all the time to not get caught.

Looks like you have everything in order sweetangel it does appear he is full of it glad to hear you have an atty watching out for you. I can see why courts wouldn't trust emails I mean anyone can access your computer and send emails from your account so how can you really prove it was you? Sounds like an atty would have a field day arguing that in court! Good luck on your case!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">