• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steven the Sain

Hi, My name is Steven of Mississippi. I am 18 and by my mothers, and the courts, I am legally emancipated. I'm a Hydraulic mechanic. I well exceed what is needed to meet my financial needs. I currently live in a home with my mother (3 bed, 2 bath). The house will be payed off in 3 months at which point my mother is relocating further south. My girlfriend is currently 16. We have her parents consent to date, but they are verbally abusive to her, may I add she is adopted, she wishes to seek legal emancipation.She also seeks emancipation due to different religious values. We have considered marriage, but we do not believe her parents will agree. Is there a way to obtain marriage without their consent? If not, can we use my financial status (along with her working for minimum wage) to obtain the judges decision in our favor? Thank you.

Silverplum

Hi, My name is Steven of Mississippi. I am 18 and by my mothers, and the courts, I am legally emancipated. I'm a Hydraulic mechanic. I well exceed what is needed to meet my financial needs. I currently live in a home with my mother (3 bed, 2 bath). The house will be payed off in 3 months at which point my mother is relocating further south. My girlfriend is currently 16. We have her parents consent to date, but they are verbally abusive to her, may I add she is adopted, she wishes to seek legal emancipation.She also seeks emancipation due to different religious values. We have considered marriage, but we do not believe her parents will agree. Is there a way to obtain marriage without their consent? If not, can we use my financial status (along with her working for minimum wage) to obtain the judges decision in our favor? Thank you.
So what if she is adopted? :confused:

And to your questions: no and no.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Man to man(ish) - don't do it. Move along...the child you are dating (not that you are much more than a child yourself) is NOT going to be the woman you will spend the rest of your life with.

For the record: If the genders were reversed, my advice would be the same. Well...except for the "man to man" part...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oh, son. Unless SHE is self-supporting, she has no chance of being (ed.) found to be self-supporting. Which is what she needs to be for emancipation.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) There is no state anywhere in the US where a 16 year old can marry without parental consent, permission of the court, or both. In your state, there is no judicial override; if she is under 21 and her parents do not consent, she does not get married, period.

2.) In your state, emancipation will do nothing you want it to. An emancipated minor in Mississippi can do one thing, and one thing only, that a non-emancipated minor cannot do and that one thing is own real estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">