• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation of non minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anfetter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was wondering if there is any way to emancipate a non minor? I am currently a college student and have to take out loans to pay for college because my parents can't pay. But according to the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid, must be filled out by every college bound student to determine financial aid) I can't get ANY financial aid because my parents make too much money (but with three kids still dependent on them, plus house bills, medical bills, gas, food, etc. they do not make enough to give me $10000 a year for college). Filling out the FAFSA, a student is required to include their parents' financial aid until they are 24 years old, married, or their parents are deceased, screwing many students who do not get financial help from their parents; which is my case. I have heard that there is such a thing, and it's kind of like emancipating a minor, except with a non-minor. Any suggestions would be helpful, as I can't find information about it anywhere, and the financial aid department at my university was no help.

mommyof4

There are very strict criteria to be met in order to be considered independent.

FastWeb: Resources: FAFSA and the Independent Student

Nothing you have stated thus far would suggest you would qualify as an independent.

Even iff a person had been granted legal emancipation as a minor, that would not meet the criteria to be considered independent. Further, the determination of independent vs. dependent rests with your school, NOT FAFSA. So, you would need to convince your financial aid counselor at school that you do meet the criteria.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was wondering if there is any way to emancipate a non minor? I am currently a college student and have to take out loans to pay for college because my parents can't pay. But according to the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid, must be filled out by every college bound student to determine financial aid) I can't get ANY financial aid because my parents make too much money (but with three kids still dependent on them, plus house bills, medical bills, gas, food, etc. they do not make enough to give me $10000 a year for college). Filling out the FAFSA, a student is required to include their parents' financial aid until they are 24 years old, married, or their parents are deceased, screwing many students who do not get financial help from their parents; which is my case. I have heard that there is such a thing, and it's kind of like emancipating a minor, except with a non-minor. Any suggestions would be helpful, as I can't find information about it anywhere, and the financial aid department at my university was no help.
Your financial aid department can give you the specific rules that would make you exempt from using your parent's FAFSA.

Or, you could get a job.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You do realize that some students WORK to put themselves through college...right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">