• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency Child and I Homeless

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

totallybroken

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My left our 12 tear old son and I at the end of July. Just walked out and disappered. He went straight to a lawyer, paid him, then found out he would probally run into bigtime tax trouble if we were to divorce. His lawyer said a Dissolution "may" advoid that. I didnt want any of this. We got together and wrote some things down. We do not own a home. We have few household goods, an old boat,a jet ski, his Harley, his tractor trailer(big rig truck), and his flatbed trailer. Most of my things are in his aunts house in Florida, where we left them after living there briefly to then return to Ohio and live in her house here. Nothing was ever done he got his money back from his lawyer and came around now and again claiming he missed me. He has given me $600.00 for the child in the past 7 1/2 months. The aunt kicked him out right away at the end of July, and the child and I have been living in her house. He did move back in for 1 month. Then he left again, that was about a month ago. Now he and the aunt have kicked us out, we have to be out this weekend, 3/30/03. I do have a job but very little money and no time. The few apartments I applied to said no because no divorce has been started, they are afraid the lease will be broken. What do I do. We each have a car in our own name now but I was dumb enough to co sign on his in the middle of all this. We each have a credit card bill in our own name. I now have hospital bills from the time he left, because I almost lost it. The boat,ski jet,Harley, big truck and trailer are all in his name. What do I do I need help now, we have no money and no place to go.Please help.

E

Ex Is Nuts

Have you filed for assistance? If not, you need to scramble down and do that! NOW!

Second, no matter who owns the house, I'm almost certain they HAVE to give you atleast 30 days to move. So when did they tell you to get out? How much time did they give you?

Next try to find you a lawyer willing to do some pro bono work, since it sounds like you have no other recourse available.

Do you have any family that can atleast let you stay with them for a few weeks?

And most importantly, keep yourself away from the jerk. Sounds like he's just using you.

As far as everything else goes (harleys, trucks, bikes, boats, etc) if they were aquired while you were married, whether or not your name was/is on them, you are entitled to half of them (or half of their worth). Who's name it has on the title doesn't matter.

Anything else?

T

timidtillie

When you apply for apartments, don't tell them about your divorce. It's none of their business. Just say you are relocating, your lease is running out, etc. Tell them the truth, but only what they need to know. Put yourself in their shoes. They just need to know that the rent will be paid and you won't break the lease.

I made the mistake of telling my "story" and missed out on many opportunities. No renter (or employer) wants potential complications, no matter how understanding or nice they seem. I finally learned to only give positive, general information. I prepare before hand how I'll respond to uncomfortable and irrelevant questions, and I keep at the top of my mind, "It's none of their business."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">