• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

enarning summary and tax returns?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aliskitty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
My leagally separated husband is french working in CT under an e-visa. He remarried with another french woman while our divorce is not final. For the diovrce in France, he withheld his income information. But my lawyer forced him to provide his income proof. He produced a so called "2008 W-2 and earning summary", I don't see any tax returns written on this photo copy.

Could any one kindly advise me if this earning summary is an official tax declartion? Is he still tricking me because I know nothing about the US tax system?

Pls help me!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
My leagally separated husband is french working in CT under an e-visa. He remarried with another french woman while our divorce is not final. For the diovrce in France, he withheld his income information. But my lawyer forced him to provide his income proof. He produced a so called "2008 W-2 and earning summary", I don't see any tax returns written on this photo copy.

Could any one kindly advise me if this earning summary is an official tax declartion? Is he still tricking me because I know nothing about the US tax system?

Pls help me!
A W2 is a tax document that outlines the income and income tax withholdings of a person employed by a specific employer. Each employer must provide each employee with such a document, in order for the employee to file their tax return.

If the person has no income from any other sources (more than one employer, investment income etc.) then it is an actual and valid reflection of their income, and is frequently used in the courts in the US to establish someone's income.

Most likely your husband would do his best to refuse to provide an actual tax return, because the actual tax return most likely reflects that he has another wife and is a bigamist. He might also refuse to provide an actual tax return if he has significant income from other employers or other sources.

However, if he is in the US on a working visa, then its very unlikely that he has income from other employers.

TinkerBelleLuvr

W-2s are issued by employers stating how much an employee made, along with the associated deductions for taxes, retirement funds, etc.

The employer sends a copy of same w-2 to social security so that the earnings can be recorded.

instructions for a w-2 for the employer
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf

Instructions to file your taxes:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">