• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ended affair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sammi90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
Ive been 'dating' a married man for 3 years. He's decided to leave his wife. Going through divorce proceedings now (mediation--they have 2 kids). I am married as well. I have recently terminated the relationship, but he continues to want more. Could I be drawn into this divorce if things get ugly? If cell phone records are requested, my identity could be compromised. Advice?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

Advice: Confess the affair to your husband before this blows up in your face.
Perhaps, but it's a legal forum, so she's probably looking for legal advice.

The fact is that the past is behind her, so there's nothing she can do (legally) but hope that it doesn't blow up. In Georgia, adultery IS grounds for divorce, so her ex-BF's wife could possibly drag her into it.

sammi90

what would ex BF's wife need as conclusive proof of affair? the only thing i can think of is cell records. is there anything i can do? cut off cell phone??

xylene

Perhaps, but it's a legal forum, so she's probably looking for legal advice.

The fact is that the past is behind her, so there's nothing she can do (legally) but hope that it doesn't blow up. In Georgia, adultery IS grounds for divorce, so her ex-BF's wife could possibly drag her into it.
My above statement is legal advice.

She can, and probably will get dragged into the divorce.

Confessing the affair and attempting to reconcile with husband is legal protection for the divorce case her husband might begin (either way he can... of course.)

sammi90

but cell phone records only document calls, or texts. what would they need for proof of an actual affair?

xylene

Divorce is a civil proceeding, not a criminal case.

Yes, you can be called to testify.

mistoffolees

My above statement is legal advice.

She can, and probably will get dragged into the divorce.

Confessing the affair and attempting to reconcile with husband is legal protection for the divorce case her husband might begin (either way he can... of course.)
True enough.

To answer OP's question about cell phones, the BF's wife could try to subpoena cell phone records, but it's not certain that the judge would allow it. The wife would need to convince the judge that it's evidence that an affair occurred. In reality, the fact that there are phone calls is not evidence of an affair. OTOH, if he's calling her frequently and for extended periods, it just MIGHT become relevant, particularly if the wife wants to use it to prove that the marriage is irretrievably broken (grounds for divorce in GA).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
but cell phone records only document calls, or texts. what would they need for proof of an actual affair?
Your testimony. Are you pregnant? Do you have an STD? Does your LOVER have an STD? You committed adultery. Now you want to protect yourself? If lover has an STD your medical records can be subpoenaed. If you are pregnant, DNA can be requested of the baby once it is born. Should I continue? If you have a baby, they can request information regarding that baby. I can continue on things I would do and what I could legitimately do. Bank accounts can be subpoenaed if he ever wrote you a check or gave you money. Did you ever meet at a hotel? You could be deposed and asked all of these questions. Yes you can be dragged in. And if my client was willing and could afford it, I would be dragging you in as far as possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">