• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcing a divorce decree in MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beljil

I live in MN. My ex and I were divorced last year and our divorce decree states that my ex is to pay half of our mortgage, and utilities until the house sells. This month he did not pay me his half of our mortgage payment and is saying he will no longer pay his half. How can I enforce the divorce decree? Do I need to get a lawyer to enforce it or is there something I can file on my own.

mistoffolees

I live in MN. My ex and I were divorced last year and our divorce decree states that my ex is to pay half of our mortgage, and utilities until the house sells. This month he did not pay me his half of our mortgage payment and is saying he will no longer pay his half. How can I enforce the divorce decree? Do I need to get a lawyer to enforce it or is there something I can file on my own.
You file for him to be held in contempt. Your county court clerk can probably provide the forms you need.

Does he have any reason why he is not paying? For example, did you reject an offer which he considered reasonable? That would not give him the right to stop paying, so I would file for contempt, anyway, but he might use it as a defense once you get into court.

beljil

No, we have had no offers on the house. He just doesn't want to pay anymore and so he thinks he can just stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">