• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entitled to Inheritance???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joynucci

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
Good afternoon.
I was wondering...my husband and I are seperating/divorcing (its all very new). His mother died in Jan 08 and left the house to the 4 siblings. The house is in the final stages of being sold (I believe they just need to sign a few papers) and set up a closing.
My question is this, will I be entitled to any of his inheritance money?
I had been told that if it never hits our joint accounts then its his.
Can this be true?
I don't want to be a b**ch, but I'm like destitute here.
Thanks!

Silverplum

Good afternoon.
I was wondering...my husband and I are seperating/divorcing (its all very new). His mother died in Jan 08 and left the house to the 4 siblings. The house is in the final stages of being sold (I believe they just need to sign a few papers) and set up a closing.
Can this be true?
Thanks!
True.
Quite true.

nextwife

Good afternoon.
Can this be true?
Thanks!
A non-comingled inheritance is NOT marital property. You have no claim on it, anymore than he'd have any claim on money YOU inheritated. After all, the decedant would want the money they chose to leave to go to whom THEY chose, not to an almost ex of the person they chose to give THEIR money to. Imagine that you someday leave money for your own child? Would you want someone they were divorcing to take away part of what YOU left them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">