• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ephrata PA Amish Divorce law Urgent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BozWalker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ephrata, Pennsylvania

First off im trying to find information for my sister in laws sister who lives in Ephrata PA in a Amish Community But is NOT Amish nor do they practice it or dress like it.

Currently she is married with 3 kids and her husband who has cheated on her and has moved out to his girlfriends house across the street has told her
1- she can not leave the house because he will change the locks
2- if she visits her family in NY he will call police and have her arrested for kidnapping
3-she cant divorce him because according to Amish law the man owns everything
House, furniture, the children as per what she was told by him.
4- She and the kids will get money for food when he feels like giving it
5- he could care less about the children he likes being in control
6- if she leaves the house for any reason he will change the locks

She is a prisoner in her own home and he has cut off her cell phone and Email accounts.
Im just trying to get information to pass along to her if what she was told is wrong she has no money for a attorney and cant leave the house to speak to one nor does she know any

Can anyone help or point me in a direction? as i said they live in a Amish Community but thats the extent of amish they were both born and raised in NY and moved to ephrata about 4 yrs ago he her husband is a garbage man who spends all his earnings on himself and could care less about if his kids or wife have food, shelter or heat.

I feel if i can find out if what she was told was wrong it might help her make the push to contact a attorney there in ephrata

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ephrata, Pennsylvania

First off im trying to find information for my sister in laws sister who lives in Ephrata PA in a Amish Community But is NOT Amish nor do they practice it or dress like it.

Currently she is married with 3 kids and her husband who has cheated on her and has moved out to his girlfriends house across the street has told her
1- she can not leave the house because he will change the locks
2- if she visits her family in NY he will call police and have her arrested for kidnapping
3-she cant divorce him because according to Amish law the man owns everything
House, furniture, the children as per what she was told by him.
4- She and the kids will get money for food when he feels like giving it
5- he could care less about the children he likes being in control
6- if she leaves the house for any reason he will change the locks

She is a prisoner in her own home and he has cut off her cell phone and Email accounts.
Im just trying to get information to pass along to her if what she was told is wrong she has no money for a attorney and cant leave the house to speak to one nor does she know any

Can anyone help or point me in a direction? as i said they live in a Amish Community but thats the extent of amish they were both born and raised in NY and moved to ephrata about 4 yrs ago he her husband is a garbage man who spends all his earnings on himself and could care less about if his kids or wife have food, shelter or heat.

I feel if i can find out if what she was told was wrong it might help her make the push to contact a attorney there in ephrata
Their marriage follows Commonwealth of PA law, not Amish law. Therefore, most of what he is telling her is nonsense.

1. She's free to leave the house whenever she wants. If he changes the locks, she can have them changed again - it's marital property and he has no right to lock her out.
2. He can not have her arrested for kidnapping if she leaves the state with the kids (assuming that there's no court order prohibiting it) for a short visit. If, however, he files for divorce and asks for the court to issue an order that she can't take the kids out of state (and they might grant it), THEN she would be unable to remove the kids. If she tries to move back to NY, he can obtain a court order forcing her to return the children (although his kidnapping claim is bogus unless she receives a court order and ignores it. Even then, it's not technically kidnapping).
3. See #1. She's bound by the Commonwealth of PA law, not Amish law. She can divorce him and she will get exactly what anyone else in PA in the same situation gets. Living in an Amish community does not override State (oops, Commonwealth) law.
4. She can file for divorce and ask for temporary support which will probably be granted. However, she's going to need to get a job to be able to support herself and the kids.
5. That's a meaningless statement unless you can prove it with hard evidence.
6. You're repeating yourself.

She should see an attorney and/or a woman's aid service.

Last edited:

LdiJ

If your sister cannot afford and attorney then the best thing that your family can do is help her hire one.

Most of what her husband has told her is BS...which is why she needs an attorney.

Nativity

Ephrata is actually a high Mennonites community but not everyone that lives there is a Mennonite nor do they have to practice their ways of life.

As stated you would go by Commonwealth of PA.

You should encourage her to seek out an attorney instead of being scared into believing she has to stay.

This is a link for Legal aid in Lancaster County
LBA: Volunteer Attorney Program

That site isn't the greatest tells you to contact MidPenn Legal services so I've added this one which is for Legal Aid in South Eastern PA. Lancaster county isn't listed as one of the counties but do give them a look over or a call as they are extremely nice and helpful and will direct you better.
Legal Aid of Southeast Pennsylvania

Please turn on your private messages also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">