• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equalizing Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deseraygoddess

Oregon

I was awarded and equalizing judgment for my part of the equity in our joint home at the time of our divorce. He was ordered to pay me $100/month with a balloon payment at the end of 2 years to pay off this judgment. He also accrues 9% interest per year on any unpaid balance. That was 10 years ago and he never paid a dime. I was told that the judgment becomes a lien and that he cannot, for example, get credit to buy a home until the lien is satisfied. I have three questions:

Is the information in regards to the judgment as a lien correct and how do I verify that?

Is there a statute of limitations on this lien/judgment?

How can I go about collecting the money as he is unwilling to satisfy the judgment in whole or even to make payments?

Thank you.

Bali Hai

Oregon

I was awarded and equalizing judgment for my part of the equity in our joint home at the time of our divorce. He was ordered to pay me $100/month with a balloon payment at the end of 2 years to pay off this judgment. He also accrues 9% interest per year on any unpaid balance. That was 10 years ago and he never paid a dime. I was told that the judgment becomes a lien and that he cannot, for example, get credit to buy a home until the lien is satisfied. I have three questions:

Is the information in regards to the judgment as a lien correct and how do I verify that?

Is there a statute of limitations on this lien/judgment?

How can I go about collecting the money as he is unwilling to satisfy the judgment in whole or even to make payments?

Thank you.
10 years?? Come on!! I believe you acquiesced and therefore your are SOL.

LdiJ

10 years?? Come on!! I believe you acquiesced and therefore your are SOL.
Bali, please stop giving answers based on your personal opinion rather than on legal fact.

OP, you need to get a consult with a local attorney to get your questions answered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">