• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

equity result of marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kanchazi

What is the name of your state? fla

I am facing two judgements got married two years ago wife owns house free & clear, has increased in value $170,000 since been married.

Do creditors consider that i have these assets because of marriage or they consider her house as hers only.

fladad

Creditors

It is my understanding that in Florida, creditors can not go after your pri**** residence, especially if she has the homestead exemption. Since she owned it prior to your mariage, and most likely your name is not on the deed, I don't think they can touch it. This is not legal advice, however it is my understanding.

A

automanfl

You say the house increased in value since married,I heard that equity gained while married in Fl.is a marital asset,even though poster isnt on the deed,does anyone know if this is true.

LdiJ

automanfl said:
You say the house increased in value since married,I heard that equity gained while married in Fl.is a marital asset,even though poster isnt on the deed,does anyone know if this is true.
Equity gained during the marriage can be considered a marital asset in a divorce....but isn't automatically a marital asset. In the OP case his wife's property is safe from his creditors as long as he is not on the deed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">