• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evict Wife?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moosejaa

What is the name of your state? New York
My wife and I are on the verge of divorce. We have only been married about a year and it has been nightmare for both of us. The house is in my name. She has just informed me that she will be taking a week cruise with a friend. She planned this without my knowledge. While she is gone I would like to move her things to storage and change the locks on the house. Can I legally do this?
Thanks

LdiJ

fairisfair said:
No. She is a tenant, you will have to legally evict her.
Actually, since they are married its the marital home. He can't kick her out until a judge orders her to leave....or she leaves voluntarily.

CandiceH

Not to be a smart a$$ but my ex managed to lock me AND the children out of the house that we had purchased ten years prior. My name was on the mortgage (and I was paying it until I moved) and the deed. The police were called several times so I could get in and I was told that I had no rights to the property since I went to stay with my mother for four days! I wasnt able to get into the house for two months and the last time the police were called I had my attorney on the phone and wasnt going to move my a$$. Yes, it is ILLEGAL to lock spouse out of the home but in my case, I got shafted.

Talk to a local attorney, file for divorce, etc. BTW-who owns the home or is this a rental? If her name is not on the deed/lease you can do an eviction process (I believe - someone correct me if I am wrong).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
CandiceH said:
Not to be a smart a$$ but my ex managed to lock me AND the children out of the house that we had purchased ten years prior. My name was on the mortgage (and I was paying it until I moved) and the deed. The police were called several times so I could get in and I was told that I had no rights to the property since I went to stay with my mother for four days! I wasnt able to get into the house for two months and the last time the police were called I had my attorney on the phone and wasnt going to move my a$$. Yes, it is ILLEGAL to lock spouse out of the home but in my case, I got shafted.

Talk to a local attorney, file for divorce, etc. BTW-who owns the home or is this a rental? If her name is not on the deed/lease you can do an eviction process (I believe - someone correct me if I am wrong).
You are wrong. As Ldij said it is the marital home. As long as she is married to him she has a right to be there until a court says otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">