• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction from Rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sardinim

I am in Washington State.

My wife wants a divorce, and asked me to leave our rental house, giving me 30 days. The lease is under her name, but I have been paying the rent either from my personal account, or joint account (my money thought). Can she do it?

Thanks.

LdiJ

I am in Washington State.

My wife wants a divorce, and asked me to leave our rental house, giving me 30 days. The lease is under her name, but I have been paying the rent either from my personal account, or joint account (my money thought). Can she do it?

Thanks.
Yes and no. If the lease is in her name, then eventually the judge is going to order you to move out. However, you could stay put until the judge makes that order, because it is the marital home.

Is there any particular reason why you would want to stay?

Bali Hai

Yes and no. If the lease is in her name, then eventually the judge is going to order you to move out. However, you could stay put until the judge makes that order, because it is the marital home.

Is there any particular reason why you would want to stay?
Would "it's cheaper than moving since she will be now paying all the rent" be an acceptable answer??

LdiJ

Would "it's cheaper than moving since she will be now paying all the rent" be an acceptable answer??
Unless there are kids, or someone needs time to get a job and save up the money for the deposit and first month's rent (and has no where else to go in the meantime, like a family member's or friend's), I don't understand why people want to stay. I can't think of anything worse than living like that.

Therefore I will always wonder why people want to stay.

tuffbrk

Unless there are kids, or someone needs time to get a job and save up the money for the deposit and first month's rent (and has no where else to go in the meantime, like a family member's or friend's), I don't understand why people want to stay. I can't think of anything worse than living like that.

Ditto. Why stay where you are not wanted unless you have no other choice.

Bali Hai

Well I had to think about this quite a while, but I think I've come up with something worse than living where you are not wanted.

How about being thrown out of your home by the court, and, then told by the same court that you have to support the person (who had you thrown out) for the rest of your life because that person didn't want you anymore??

Since it all boils down to money, staying there and saving some money until the above described events happen, would be the prudent financial thing to do. If the person who you are staying with doesn't like you or you don't like them, who cares??

LdiJ

Well I had to think about this quite a while, but I think I've come up with something worse than living where you are not wanted.

How about being thrown out of your home by the court, and, then told by the same court that you have to support the person (who had you thrown out) for the rest of your life because that person didn't want you anymore??

Since it all boils down to money, staying there and saving some money until the above described events happen, would be the prudent financial thing to do. If the person who you are staying with doesn't like you or you don't like them, who cares??
Divorce is hell, no matter how it shapes up. How about believing that you had a happy marriage, with a small child, and then having your husband walk away at CHRISTMAS time no less?

I still couldn't live in the same household as someone who didn't want me anymore. I just couldn't do it unless I had no other choice.

Bali Hai

Divorce is hell, no matter how it shapes up. How about believing that you had a happy marriage, with a small child, and then having your husband walk away at CHRISTMAS time no less?

I still couldn't live in the same household as someone who didn't want me anymore. I just couldn't do it unless I had no other choice.
I'm not seeing the analogy linking desertion at Christmas time with this thread.:confused:

sardinim

Thanks for your answers

I don't want to stay, no way. It is just that I have to stay because I am broke and still looking for a new job. I wanted to make sure I could stay a few weeks longer without her being able to call the cops or anything. :(

Yes, it is hell.

I don't want to stay, no way. It is just that I have to stay because I am broke and still looking for a new job. I wanted to make sure I could stay a few weeks longer without her being able to call the cops or anything. :(

Yes, it is hell.

Yes you can stay but be forewarned...some people will say and do anything to get their way. Do NOT get into any confrontations, Ex Parte restraining orders are the biggest scam in the divorce business. Keep your distance, and keep quiet. The police are obligated to respond to any allegations she makes. Unfortunately...it happens all the time.

LdiJ

Yes, it is hell.
That is a yes and no answer too. Yes, you can stay there and the cops can't make you leave if she calls them....UNLESS the cops have any basis to believe that there is any kind of domestic violence going on.

Therefore, if you are staying, no matter what, do NOT engage...at all, in anything that could escalate into even verbal fighting. Be calm, cool and collected at all times, and do not EVER touch her, for any reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">