• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Husband hacked my facebook account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kellic1969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hi,

I live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and me and my husband were divorced 2 years ago. However, we are still together, I know it makes no sense. But we decided to start with a clean slate. Yesterday, I found out he hacked my facebook account. I spend time on there playing my games which relax me after a long day at work. I noticed a couple of days ago that as soon as I log off the computer, he runs upstairs and logs onto the computer. I found that odd. So I changed my facebook settings to when you log on, you have to have a code generator number that facebook will send to your phone. So, yesterday, when he ran upstairs to log on as soon as I got off the computer, facebook alerted me for a code number. So , I knew that he had hacked me, he can't now since you have to have a code to get into my account. My question is this: Is what he did illegal? is it a violation of something? I mean for goodness sakes, I don't need to worry about him monitoring my every move, its unnerving.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hi,

I live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and me and my husband were divorced 2 years ago. However, we are still together, I know it makes no sense. But we decided to start with a clean slate. Yesterday, I found out he hacked my facebook account. I spend time on there playing my games which relax me after a long day at work. I noticed a couple of days ago that as soon as I log off the computer, he runs upstairs and logs onto the computer. I found that odd. So I changed my facebook settings to when you log on, you have to have a code generator number that facebook will send to your phone. So, yesterday, when he ran upstairs to log on as soon as I got off the computer, facebook alerted me for a code number. So , I knew that he had hacked me, he can't now since you have to have a code to get into my account. My question is this: Is what he did illegal? is it a violation of something? I mean for goodness sakes, I don't need to worry about him monitoring my every move, its unnerving.
Perhaps it's time to remember why you divorced the guy in the first place.

Silverplum

I've decided to ignore all questions involving that childish facebook nonsense. We're not here to mediate skoolyard spats. :rolleyes:

Zigner

i'm just asking if what he did was illegal. Not asking to mediate any school yard spats.
Technically, yes, it's illegal, but that doesn't mean you're going to get him thrown in jail or anything like that. He's going to argue that you shared your account password with him freely (how else would he have it?)

Change your password and move on from the guy.

Zigner

You could just stop posting on FB...
This is true, but the fact that it was FB is really incidental in this situation. It could have been email, the local newspaper, the electric company, the library, AOL, Google, etc. (The list could go on forever). This guy improperly accessed the OP's online account.

Kellic1969

This is true, but the fact that it was FB is really incidental in this situation. It could have been email, the local newspaper, the electric company, the library, AOL, Google, etc. (The list could go on forever). This guy improperly accessed the OP's online account.
Yep and I'm afraid to use our computer at home because of this. All I'm doing is playing my games, he has no reason to suspect me of doing anything else and I'm not btw. Who knows? he may try hacking my email next, my bank information, etc.

I thank everyone for your replies. It is time for me to move on from this guy. I tried to give it another go because of the kids, but I don't want to feel like this, it's like he is trying to control my every move.

CdwJava

i'm just asking if what he did was illegal. Not asking to mediate any school yard spats.
He did not "hack" anything. What he may have done was committed some form of unauthorized access. However, if he had your password because you once gave it to him, or, it was saved on the computer, that case becomes even weaker.

You can also expect the police to not be concerned about this. If the police and the prosecutor had to try and pursue every case of squabbling couples alleging that one or the other accessed their social media without permission, they'd have to stop looking at most other crimes. So, if you do decide that you want the police to play yard duty between you and your ex/not-ex, then don't expect much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">