• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex left...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xerses

What is the name of your state? NV

Recently my fiance woke up and decided to leave. We have a house together and her car is in my name. She cannot finance the car on her own and wants me to carry the car (shell make payments). The problem is she doesnt have a job now and if she defaults on the payments they get drafted from my account. Worse yet if the car gets repo'd that hits me too. I am at the mercy of her whim,,,what do I do.

I have asked her to turn over the keys to the house but she hasnt and I have noticed that she stops by when i am not home "to get things she forgot".

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NV

Recently my fiance woke up and decided to leave. We have a house together and her car is in my name. She cannot finance the car on her own and wants me to carry the car (shell make payments). The problem is she doesnt have a job now and if she defaults on the payments they get drafted from my account. Worse yet if the car gets repo'd that hits me too. I am at the mercy of her whim,,,what do I do.

I have asked her to turn over the keys to the house but she hasnt and I have noticed that she stops by when i am not home "to get things she forgot".
If you own the house together, or you have a joint lease, then she has just as much right to be there as you do. There is nothing you can do about that in the short term. If you own the house you can petition for a partition, so that either the house is sold and the proceeds split, or so that you can buy her out. (if she is on the home loan, then you would also need to refinance).

As far as the car is concerned, if you are the sole owner of the car (her name is not on the title) then you can repossess it. However if she is on the title, you have the same problem as outlined with the house.

nextwife

If she's not an owner of the car, she's not entitled to it. Did she pay for it, other than the loan?

You and he should sell the house, or whomever wishes to stay should refinance and buy out the other's interest.

If she broke the engagement, you are entitled to get the ring back.

Golfball

If you own the house together, or you have a joint lease, then she has just as much right to be there as you do.
Depends on the state. Some states *do* allow a departing spouse to be barred from further entry (in absence of a court order), even if their name is on the lease/deed. There are conditions for properly doing so, (there needs to be notice given to the absent spouse or a affirmative declaration by the absent spouse that they are not intending to return to reside in the house, at a minimum.), failure to properly do so can result in the spouse changing the locks getting ejected from the marital dwelling via court order.

LdiJ

Depends on the state. Some states *do* allow a departing spouse to be barred from further entry (in absence of a court order), even if their name is on the lease/deed. There are conditions for properly doing so, (there needs to be notice given to the absent spouse or a affirmative declaration by the absent spouse that they are not intending to return to reside in the house, at a minimum.), failure to properly do so can result in the spouse changing the locks getting ejected from the marital dwelling via court order.
Ah but she is not a "spouse"...she was a fiancee...which means that the rules for marriages do not apply. They are merely unrelated co-owners.

xerses

Whe she left she said to me and others that "I could have the house and that she wanted nothing from it". Now that she is broke she is coming back demanding half of the equity. Also she is refusing to continue to make payments on her car until i give her money or else she will ruin my credit (repo etc).

LdiJ

Whe she left she said to me and others that "I could have the house and that she wanted nothing from it". Now that she is broke she is coming back demanding half of the equity. Also she is refusing to continue to make payments on her car until i give her money or else she will ruin my credit (repo etc).
Your problem is that she is half owner of the house, and there is absolutely nothing that you can do to change that. You are unrelated parties sharing ownership of a property. There is no way to avoid giving her, her half....unless she voluntarily signs it away to you, legally.

You either need to sell, and divide the proceeds, or you need to refinance, and buy her out. Again, you can take the car away from her and make the payments yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">