• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex moved the kids money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antax

TN - My ex wife and I have been divorced for about 10 months. We have 2 children and share joint custody. They both had a savings account with a total of about $5500 between the 2 of them. Both my ex's name and mine was on the accounts. About a month and a half ago my ex withdrew all the money except for $10 from the kids accounts and says she put them in different accounts. She refuses to have my name added to the accounts so I can see the balance and activity on the accounts.

I feel like I have a right to see my kids accounts and the activity on them. Has she broken any laws by doing this? How can I get her to add my name back onto the accounts?

Antigone*

TN - My ex wife and I have been divorced for about 10 months. We have 2 children and share joint custody. They both had a savings account with a total of about $5500 between the 2 of them. Both my ex's name and mine was on the accounts. About a month and a half ago my ex withdrew all the money except for $10 from the kids accounts and says she put them in different accounts. She refuses to have my name added to the accounts so I can see the balance and activity on the accounts.

I feel like I have a right to see my kids accounts and the activity on them. Has she broken any laws by doing this? How can I get her to add my name back onto the accounts?
How did the divorce decree address these accounts?

Antax

It didn't. Her lawyer left a lot of things out. We had a joint account before the divorce. When she left she got her own account. I then created my own account and let the joint account close itself (If the account has a $0 balance it automatically closes). Both our names were on the kids savings accounts and still are unless she took hers off but I don't see her doing that.

Antigone*

It didn't. Her lawyer left a lot of things out. We had a joint account before the divorce. When she left she got her own account. I then created my own account and let the joint account close itself (If the account has a $0 balance it automatically closes). Both our names were on the kids savings accounts and still are unless she took hers off but I don't see her doing that.
It does not appear that she did anything illegal then. It is unfortunate that your attorney (or you) didn't address this in the divorce.

Ronin

Even if nothing was expressly stated in regards to how the childrens bank account is handled, you may have some recourse to address this matter in court based upon the fact you have joint custody. Joint custody generally requires mutual agreement on issues that affect the health, education, and welfare of the children.

You are a joint account holder in your childrens bank account, your ex dipped into it without explanation, and the amount is significant. You should have a right to know whether this money is being properly managed on behalf of your children, or if it is being squandered to pay off credit card debt or whatever.

Review your court orders regarding the wording of the terms of your joint custody. Given the letter and spirit of joint custody, it would not be an unreasonable request to ask the court to address this matter.

LdiJ

Even if nothing was expressly stated in regards to how the childrens bank account is handled, you may have some recourse to address this matter in court based upon the fact you have joint custody. Joint custody generally requires mutual agreement on issues that affect the health, education, and welfare of the children.

You are a joint account holder in your childrens bank account, your ex dipped into it without explanation, and the amount is significant. You should have a right to know whether this money is being properly managed on behalf of your children, or if it is being squandered to pay off credit card debt or whatever.

Review your court orders regarding the wording of the terms of your joint custody. Given the letter and spirit of joint custody, it would not be an unreasonable request to ask the court to address this matter.
Just don't spend a ton of money on an attorney, because the total amount of money doesn't justify spending a ton on an attorney.

Ronin

Agreed.

Nicely reminding the ex of the terms of the joint custody order and that she is in violation "might" prompt an accounting of the monies.

A letter from his attorney to her attorney ups the ante a bit and also "might" work.

Beyond that, unless planning on going to court for other business anyway, the cost-benefit of pursuing this in court may make not make it worth the trouble.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">