• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex owes me money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHE1955

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? in texas
divorce is final, in final decree ex agreed that he owed me 54,000.00 dollars to be payed march 1, 2009 it is now march 4, 2009 and he still hasn't paid me. he is stalling , what can i do now to get the money he owes me.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? in texas
divorce is final, in final decree ex agreed that he owed me 54,000.00 dollars to be payed march 1, 2009 it is now march 4, 2009 and he still hasn't paid me. he is stalling , what can i do now to get the money he owes me.
Wait at least 4 more weeks. If payment hasn't been made by then, file a contempt motion to enforce the order.

LdiJ

IF he has the means to pay you. IF he doesn't have the means to pay you then he won't be found in contempt.
If he doesn't have the means because he hasn't properly dealt with the assets, then a judge might not hold him in contempt, but might order that something happen with the assets to make the cash available.

mistoffolees

If he doesn't have the means because he hasn't properly dealt with the assets, then a judge might not hold him in contempt, but might order that something happen with the assets to make the cash available.
Furthermore, the judge might order him to pay over time.

The only change I would make to the above advice is that I would not wait 4 weeks to do anything. I would send him a letter by certified mail 'reminding' him that his payment is past due and that you expect to receive the payment within 10 days or you will file for him to be held in contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">