• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex refuses to remove name from car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAJ87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The car was purchased 2 years ago and both of our names are on the title (I'm the cosigner). We tried split payments, but the majority of the time, I paid them. We broke up about 6 months ago and he has had the car since then and was suppose to take over payments. I paid the most recent 2 months worth as says he cannot afford the car anymore. He doesn't want the car, but refuses to take his name off the title and let me refinance the car as he feels it's "not fair.". He believes I should pay him for what he has put into the car so far. If I refinance it, he believes he gets nothing out of it. We still owe about $10,000. So if we sold it, we would still owe about 2,000 which I would be responsible for. I could pay off the car now, but seeing as he is the primary owner and I'm just a co-signer, he would take me to court and try to get the car back. He told me the only options are either, crash the vehicle and let the insurance take care of it, or let it get repossessed. Obviously I don't want to do either of these. Is there anything I can do to get his name off the title and just take over the payments? He refuses to sign anything.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The car was purchased 2 years ago and both of our names are on the title (I'm the cosigner). We tried split payments, but the majority of the time, I paid them. We broke up about 6 months ago and he has had the car since then and was suppose to take over payments. I paid the most recent 2 months worth as says he cannot afford the car anymore. He doesn't want the car, but refuses to take his name off the title and let me refinance the car as he feels it's "not fair.". He believes I should pay him for what he has put into the car so far. If I refinance it, he believes he gets nothing out of it. We still owe about $10,000. So if we sold it, we would still owe about 2,000 which I would be responsible for. I could pay off the car now, but seeing as he is the primary owner and I'm just a co-signer, he would take me to court and try to get the car back. He told me the only options are either, crash the vehicle and let the insurance take care of it, or let it get repossessed. Obviously I don't want to do either of these. Is there anything I can do to get his name off the title and just take over the payments? He refuses to sign anything.
A) Purposely crashing the car is a criminal act.
B) Insurance may not cover everything.
C) If you want the car, sue him for the property and get a court order awarding you the car and the payments. Then refinance.

PAJ87

Thanks Ohiogal. I was trying to avoid going to court, but it appears that's the best option. Thank you again for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">