• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex refuses to submit divorce papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eris23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My ex was very reluctant to sign divorce papers, but after over a year he agreed. He paid for the service, and on April 3, 2013 I met him at a Notary Public to sign the papers. I do not know the lawyer or company that supervised this. We both signed all the papers, and the Notary told us he would be sent some papers and then he would need to submit them to the court and it would be done.

A few months later I found out the papers were never submitted. I called him, and he started screaming that he destroyed it and would never submit the papers. He changed his phone number and blocked my email, I have no way to reach him.

I have no idea if I am even divorced, or if there is anything I can do about this.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My ex was very reluctant to sign divorce papers, but after over a year he agreed. He paid for the service, and on April 3, 2013 I met him at a Notary Public to sign the papers. I do not know the lawyer or company that supervised this. We both signed all the papers, and the Notary told us he would be sent some papers and then he would need to submit them to the court and it would be done.

A few months later I found out the papers were never submitted. I called him, and he started screaming that he destroyed it and would never submit the papers. He changed his phone number and blocked my email, I have no way to reach him.

I have no idea if I am even divorced, or if there is anything I can do about this.
You can file for divorce without his agreement.

Ladyback1

Did you even read what I wrote?
You may have to file for divorce on your own, without the assistance or cooperation of the other party.

Do you know what court the papers were to have been filed in?
Do you have a case number of any sort? Didn't you get any copies of what you signed?

You really need to a) educate yourself, b) consult a family law/divorce attorney and c) not be so complacent as to let him handle it.

Ladyback1

You guys aren't lawyers. I'm out.
no wonder you don't know if you are divorced! No self-respecting person, who wants a divorce, allows or depends on the other party to do the work.

And yeah, there are lawyers here...There are also people here, who while not lawyers, have an enormous amount of intelligence and experience in certain areas. You should just muddle along, and be the subservient twit that you have shown yourself to be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">