• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex and sister suing me for furniture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roshunda19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Tennessee
I divorced in August 2009 after almost a 3 year separation. When we split, I took roughly half the furniture. I have 2 pieces that my ex-husband financed in his sister's name, now (3 years later) he's saying that the furniture wasn't paid for and they are suing me for the balance. He never mentioned the furniture in the divorce decree. Since we got the furniture while we were married, will I have to pay her?

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Tennessee
I divorced in August 2009 after almost a 3 year separation. When we split, I took roughly half the furniture. I have 2 pieces that my ex-husband financed in his sister's name, now (3 years later) he's saying that the furniture wasn't paid for and they are suing me for the balance. Since we got the furniture while we were married, will I have to pay her?
What does your divorce decree state about debts incurred during the marriage?

roshunda19

I don't have it in front of me, but basically it said we already divided the property and each of us had what we wanted. I'm not sure about the exact wording concerning debts incurred during the marriage.

mistoffolees

I don't have it in front of me, but basically it said we already divided the property and each of us had what we wanted. I'm not sure about the exact wording concerning debts incurred during the marriage.
Go look it up and come back here when you know what the divorce decree says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">