• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-spouse not paying bills..will it effect my new marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

a08701

I got a divorce last year and my ex-husband is in the military. He signed divorce papers agreeing to pay all the bills even though some of them were not in his name. He also agreed to pay me an amount every month for 2 years. He transferred out of the area and stopped paying me. I sent a copy of the divorce papers and a list of what he owes to me. I paid off one of the bills and i sent that info also. At that time i didn't realize he wasn't paying some of the other bills. His command sent me a letter saying that he was making arrangements to pay me what he owes me. I have started getting phone calls and letters from creditors and collection agencies and attorneys all looking for money. Those bills are in my name not his, but he agreed to pay them. I sent his command copies of the letters also sent copies to him. I tell everybody to contact him and i give his command address and phone number they tell me it's my problem even though he signed papers saying he would be responsible.

What good is having divorce papers with his signature on them if he doesn't have to do what he said he is going to do?

We were divorced in New Jersey and I still live here he is now stationed in Mississippi.

Also, when i get re-married will this affect my new husband in any way? I realize that my credit is totally worthless now. And it will take me years to get it even half way decent again. I just want him to do what he said he would do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">