• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-spouse snooping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MsDonnaR

What is the name of your state?Florida My Ex has been researching my personal business thru the internet and found that i have money owed to me from property i owned before i was married. Now my Ex thinks i have to split the funds. Is this true and does my ex have the right to claim ownership to things before marriage or after divorce.

rmet4nzkx

http://www.uslegalforms.com/divorce/florida-divorce-faq.htm
Property Division
Q: On what basis does the court decide how marital property is divided?

A: Florida is a so-called "equitable distribution" state. This means that the division of property and debts between the divorcing parties should be fair and equitable, but not necessarily equal. The court begins with the assumption that property should be equally divided, unless there is a justification for unequal division.

Q: Is the "separate property" of one spouse subject to being divided up?

A: The question here is whether property "belonging to" one of the parties should be included in the marital estate for purposes of an equitable division. Generally, separate property acquired before the marriage or by gift or inheritance during the marriage may be excluded from the marital estate if neither the property nor its income has been used for the common benefit of the parties during their marriage.

Q: What if the parties occasionally use an item of separate property (for example, silver table utensils inherited by the wife) for the benefit of both parties?

A: The property may be subject to division. Where the parties regularly use property acquired by one party before marriage for the common benefit of the parties, it is more likely to be available for consideration in dividing property. The frequency of use may be considered by the court in making the decision.

M

MsDonnaR

I'm sorry. The propery was bought and sold 12 years before i was married.

rmet4nzkx

That's why I posted the part about separate property, he has no claim unless you shared it together during your marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">