• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-spouse will not transfer vehicle title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rob Z

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
My 2008 MD divorce decree incorporates but does not merge my voluntary separation agreement. The agreement directs my ex-spouse to take action as necessary to permit transfer of a vehicle to me as sole owner. I have moved into VA and the title still has both our names as owners. She refuses to comply and I am faced with suing for contempt of court order and also pursuing ex-spouse payment of legal fees. Is there another way? Will a divorce decree and separation agreement be accepted as evidence of my sole ownership in MD and VA?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
My 2008 MD divorce decree incorporates but does not merge my voluntary separation agreement. The agreement directs my ex-spouse to take action as necessary to permit transfer of a vehicle to me as sole owner. I have moved into VA and the title still has both our names as owners. She refuses to comply and I am faced with suing for contempt of court order and also pursuing ex-spouse payment of legal fees. Is there another way? Will a divorce decree and separation agreement be accepted as evidence of my sole ownership in MD and VA?
You could contact the DMV/BMV and ask...

However, is the car paid off? If not, then it may be more complicated than you think. It may not be possible to change the title until the car is paid off.

Rob Z

It is paid off, no lien. I will talk to them but have recent experience with both where employees were uninformed of their own regulations. Was hoping to hear positive information I could use in the visit to their offices.

LdiJ

It is paid off, no lien. I will talk to them but have recent experience with both where employees were uninformed of their own regulations. Was hoping to hear positive information I could use in the visit to their offices.
Sorry, I doubt if many people here have much info on DMV/BMV regulations. Its not really a family law issue.

justalayman

. The courts did not transfer the title nor did the order even state such. As such, the DMV would have no courts order to even consider in this situation. Sounds like you will be taking ex back to court.

Golfball

Virginia may have remedies available, but that would require checking with the VA DMV. (Some states do allow a party to assert a claim to a title w/o the express consent of any other party on the title or a court order, however, there are regulations to be followed in those cases.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">