• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Sueing his Ex-Business Partner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rosescaspers

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My Ex of almost 2 years, started a lawsuit with his ex business partner about 6 months after our divorce was final. He (my ex) had signed the business over then dissapeared for 3 months, leaving both the partner and myself in a big mess. I was still married to him then. Of course, the divorce papers has nothing about the past business, since he had signed it back over. The partner had to take over a loan my ex and I had for the business, as he was the guareenter of the loan. The divorce papers do state I'm not entitled to future assets, however since I was still married and my name was on the original business loan, am I entitled to any of the $ in this suit providing my ex wins? Due to my ex's irresponsibility, the abandnment of me and his partner, I was forced to file bankrupcty after the divorce. The ex is claiming the signed paper on the business is not legal and he was under "distress" when he signed it. I believe he had this whole thing planned so I would not receive anything from the business. The partner and I still talk from time to time, and without his financial support during my ex's unknown whereabouts, I would have lost my home. He is the one who mentioned to me I should check my options out. If I possibly have a claim to this suit, how do I pursue? Can I claim he was aware of the future lawsuit even though he did not disclose this in the divorce papers? I appreciate any advice -

VeronicaGia

Did you retain an attorney during the divorce? My advice, if you did, is to contact the attorney you retained and ask.

Rosescaspers

I did have an attorney however, I can't possibly afford his fees. I never felt he listened to me and he just seemed to be too unconcerned about certain events. The day before the divorce was final, I had to call him as I still had not seen the final papers or signed them. I met him on the morning of court date to review the papers and of course there were several things incorrect on the property settlement. He marked through those items, made notes and faxed to ex's attorney. The divorce was in another county over 2 1/2 hours away. This was also a problem just trying to find an attorney to take my case as nobody wanted to travel. I was very dissapointed in his service and told him so. At any rate, I just hate to see my ex take his ex-partner for $$ in which he does not deserve. He has lied so much it's unbelievable - I have thought of just writing his current attorney (he has a different one for this) and let him know that if in fact my ex wins this suit, I will file claiming that 1/2 is mine - If he was in distress then over the business, then he was also in distress when he filed divorce papers stating he did not own anything. Of course, I knew he had signed the business over and even showed the paper to my divorce attorney to ensure all was legal. I could go on and on, but too lengthly. Bottom line, this man needs to go away and take his losses. After all, it was his choice to leave it all. Thanks for listening -

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">